Tuesday, August 21, 2012

fashion on the go: packing tips

I know us over-packers struggle with what's happening in the picture to the left. My mom always tells me to just figure out what I'm going to wear everyday on the trip and strategize ... but to be honest, I'm going to wear what I feel like wearing on that day! To me, it's not about planning ahead. It's about packing smart.

It's safe to say that that I've travelled a lot because my home's in California, and I go to college in New York. I used to love packing because that meant I was going somewhere away from home, whether that be an adventure or vacation. Ever since I started travelling back and forth from home to school and vice versa, packing has become a chore...but I have definitely improved on my packing skills! (Fun fact: I'm actually packing right now! I'm leaving for the east coast in a couple of hours.)

Read more for some tips and tricks on how to save space, pack neatly, and stay organized.

First tip: take it from a procrastinator: do not pack a couple of hours before you leave. You end up forgetting things because you're so rushed, running around trying to squeeze it all into your suitcase. Not a good idea! 

There are two main bags that we pack: our carry on and the bag that we check in. I’m assuming you’re checking it in since you’re going to college – that small carry-on suitcase is not going to cut it!

So for our carry on, I think there are a few things that are necessary to bring with you to the airplane:
  1. Laptop - you never know if you're suitcase is going to get lost, and losing your laptop is a huge deal! Keep it where you can see it.
  2. Essentials that you cannot lose if your suitcase were to get lost...for me that's make up - for a girl who has skin problems like me, I need my make-up. If I were to lose it, I would feel way too self conscious so I like to know that if I need to touch up, it's with me!
  3. If you do have an extra carry on suitcase (not including the check-in bag), put everything heavy in it. Your bigger suitcase will probably have all of your clothes, shoes, etc, and it could well exceed over 50 pounds. It's not worth it to pay money if your bag exceeds the weight limit so if you have a carry on, put anything that could add weight to it in the carry on! 
As for our suitcase
  1. Pack the difficult items first. That way, you won't have to worry about an oddly shaped pot at the end! (Or well...that's my case.)
  2. Roll your clothes instead of folding them. It’ll wrinkle your clothes less and give you more space to pack more items!
  3. If you need even more space, use space bags. They definitely add more weight because it gives you more space to pack more items, so be sure to keep a check on your suitcase’s weight. Remember, 50 pounds is the limit!
  4. Make sure to put your shoes in separate plastic bags. To hold its shape, stuff it with bubble wrap. If you don’t have bubble wrap, use old newspapers! For boots, use old magazines, roll them up, and stuff it in. It’ll do the trick!
  5. Make sure that anything that can leak or spill is sealed in a Ziploc bag. You never know what’s going to happen and you don’t want to ruin your clothes!
Leaving your home…
  1. Do all of your laundry before you pack. This may seem obvious, but I know some people who will bring it with them because they think they’ll do it there. Let’s be honest: you’re not going to want to do laundry when you’re meeting old friends, making new friends, exploring your school!
  2. This is more for me, but I like to come back to a clean room, so I like to make sure that my room is ready for me when I come back. :)
Good luck with packing! 

P.S. a very useful packing tips video!

No comments:

Post a Comment